Friday, March 25, 2005

One of my biggest driving petpeeves

Like most people, there are many things that bother me while driving. But this has got to be one of my biggest petpeeves.

This image to the left shows a two-lane roadway under normal, everybody is happy conditions. Sure, the road is wide, but the cars know that since there are no white dashed lines subdividing their respective lane, they must drive in a single file.

The image to the right, however, illustrates my petpeeve. It occurs when drivers IGNORE THE LACK OF WHITE DASHED LINES and decide to form two lanes on their own. Such behavior on the roads will lead to chaos!

These de facto lanes usually form when some impatient driver decides that, "Well, the road is wide, so that must mean there are multiple lanes." That driver then tries to pass other drivers on the right. This is horrible!

I can't stand it. So I try to be a vigilante and behave like the green car in the image on the right. I try to just drive in the middle of the lane to prevent cars from passing on the right or left. But that rarely works. Other drivers assume I'm the stupid one and pass me regardless.

The only time you can drive next to someone is when there are marked lanes, as shown in the image to the left. That's it!

Please fellow drivers...no more de facto lanes!

1 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'd be hosed if you lived in a city, man... It's quite regular that anyplace where the lines are missing or incomplete the cars pile up three and sometimes even four wide! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home